The first permanent settlers of what is now Evant were the Asa Langford family. They settled on what came to be called Langford Branch in 1855. The first known white child born in this area was Charlotte Langford, who was born October 10, 1855.In addition to his dwelling, Langford built a saw mill to make rawhide lumber, a grist mill, a blacksmith shop, and a general store, which stocked such things as gun powder, tobacco, coffee, brown sugar, snuff, lead, and a little calico. The settlement became known as Langford Cove.The county seat was a great distance by horseback or wagon. The area to the north, west, and south was unorganized territory under the judicial jurisdiction of Burnet County.
Evant, Texas 1892
Evant, Texas 1909
Evant, Texas 2000
The first post office was established in 1876 and named Cove. Langford was the first postmaster.
The present town of Evant lies about a half mile north of the old site. It was named for Evant Brooks who moved from Alabama in the late 1870s. Brooks bought 160 acres from Langford. In 1881 he set apart “for sale and settlement as a town” sixty acres. The town was named Evant in 1884. A 240 foot square was laid out in the center for a court house.
Langford gave four acres of land for a school. The first building on the four acres was a rawhide building built in 1878. Evant school occupies a part of that tract today. a gymnasium was built in 1936. The present Evant ISD contains 238 square miles and lies in Coryell, Hamilton, and Lampasas counties. Evant ISD now occupies a modern building built in 1975. A second gymnasium is under construction at the present time. The school excels in academics and sports.
Evant, Texas located at the junction of U.S. Highways 281 and 84, Evant now has three churches, a bank, grocery store, gas stations, a Masonic lodge, a waste water disposal system, and garbage pickup service. The city was incorporated in 1977.